Yesterday I fired obvara. I spent a bit more than two hours opening and closing the kiln and some of the results were very cool. I think I can duplicate the "halo" of color around the blackened areas in the top ornament...we'll try it again in the next batch of firing.
Of course today, as my legs are throbbing, facing down a day of carbon painting is just a pain in the head to think about. Somebody's got to do it :-)
It wasn't the firing that created the pain in the legs. After firing and before washing the work in the evening, Mr. Brilliant (that would be me with a tongue in the cheek) decided that weed clearing would be a great thing to do. Two hours of that and the yard looks pretty much like it did when I started...weeds are subtle.
The ornaments are new to us. Brenda and I have a totally different look in mind but with the obvara "goo" being ready I decided to try them. I like them...a lot.
Today I will try a few with carbon painting.
New feathers came in yesterday...should make the day even more interesting.
Remember it's high fire season...I wet the area (okay I drench it) prior to starting the kiln and then between batches if patches become dryish...the hose is on the entire time with a spray handle. All this just adds to the drama.